Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I am such a slacker. . .

I was determined to blog at least once a month this semester but I really did not have the time. So here I am, with a break from school, about five months after my last post, trying to catch up. So many things have happened since my last post. I am not too surprised that I haven't posted anything since Christmas because this last semester was pretty rough. I was a very absent wife. My schedule was: 1) go to class 2) go to work 3) go home and do homework 4) homework 5) more homework! 6) sleep. I feel so awful for abandoning my husband but I'm sure he'll get over it. ;) At least now I know that I can handle AnYThiNg! and I mean aNytHinG! Whoever said that Elementary Education was an easy major, never took any of my classes!

I had a very different practicum experience this semester. I was in a first grade class with only 16 students but all of those students were handfuls! This experience really showed me that my preferred teaching grade is NOT first grade. I loved those students, but they come to you with terrible behaviors, not background knowledge, and tendencies that are so bizarre and hard to handle! Not to mention that it is a critical year for reading instruction. . . the whole focus of that classroom was reading, reading, and more reading! My cooperating teacher was a pro. Every student except for one that came very late in the year was off the charts on their state reading tests. I realized that I am definitely more comfortable with a group of students that have a little bit of experience being in school. So far, I think that my ideal grade would be anything from 3rd-8th grade. It is still a pretty big range, but I still have time to narrow it down.

***Awesome side note: Sean passed his STATS class on his very first try!!! I am so proud of him. He is a great student when motivated, but math really is his Achilles heal. He worked hard and pulled it off!

No comments:

Post a Comment